4 Mar 2012

Cooking with small people - Pear Pancakes


As part of my work I teach cooking to kids in the early years of primary school. Currently I am teaching 4 groups of  5 year olds and 3 groups of 6 year olds each fortnight. I thought I might share my experiences for those who want to cook with kids and need some ideas and just because they are fun and inspiring to work with. Sadly I cannot show photos of the kids as it is through my work, but I can show some photos of the food.

Pear Pancakes
The 5 year olds only have about 20 minutes so I need to keep things pretty simple. 
Over the last 2 weeks i have done pear pancakes with them. They were a great success. 
The recipe is based on a jamie oliver recipe for breakfast pancakes. It conveniently has one thing for each child to measure, is ready to eat very fast and is very popular.


Ingredients


1 cup flour
1 tspn baking powder
1 egg
1 cup of milk
1 pear grated (core and all)

  • Combine ingredients
  • Melt a little butter in a non-stick pan, add ladlefuls of mix, turn when bubbles form on the surface, turn, cook another couple of minutes.
  • Serve straight away with yoghurt and honey in original recipe - but we used golden syrup.

I get each child to measure/grate their ingredient and put it into a big bowl in the middle. Then they all had a wooden spoon and they all have a go at stirring. A few of them found the look of the grated pear a little gross, but all but one were willing to eat it and then liked them. 

I let them choose if they want a turn ladleing into an electric frypan after explaining where the hot parts are - they all choose to do it and no-one was burnt. Then they all wash 2 things up while they cook (sometimes I need to re-wash!) Finally they ate 2 each with a squeeze of golden syrup.

I have quite a few kids with allergies, so i have put them in one group. For that group we used gluten free flour, "no egg" egg substitute, soy milk and canola oil instead of butter in the pan.





    Nicola



No comments:

Post a Comment