23 Jul 2012

Camembert wrapped in prosciutto on a bed of braised cabbage and apple - A wintery Escape from the everyday!




Cabbage is one of those vegetables that I like when I eat it, but never think I’m going to,  so I have never used it very much. When we travelled to Taiwan a few years ago, where they love cabbage, I discovered that I enjoyed it and that Ian loved it so I am trying to use it more. From years of underuse ideas just don’t pop into my head the way they do with other vegies though. So when a cabbage turned up in our co-op bag while the girls were both away I had to google. I came across this wintery treat on taste.com.au. It was certainly in the category of occasional food from a health point of view but it was a delicious wintery change from the every day!

Ingredients (serves 4)
·             200g whole camembert
·             10 long thin slices prosciutto
·             50g unsalted butter
·             1 tbs olive oil
·             1 onion, finely chopped
·             1 garlic clove, crushed
·             1 Granny Smith apple, grated
·             1/2 (about 500g) Savoy cabbage, finely sliced

  Method
      Preheat the oven to 220°C.



    Cover Camembert with enough prosciutto slices so they slightly overlap and completely enclose the cheese. Freeze for 10 minutes, then transfer to a baking dish and bake for 6-8 minutes or until prosciutto is just crisp.
    Meanwhile, finely chop remaining pancetta slices. Melt butter and oil in a large pan over medium heat, and then add onion and prosciutto. Cook for 2-3 minutes, and then add garlic and apple and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add cabbage and cook, stirring, for 5-6 minutes. Divide between plates


     Slice Camembert and serve on a bed of the cabbage with a slice of rye toast.


I hope you enjoy this treat as much as we did.
Nicola


No comments:

Post a Comment